I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Thursday, April 2, 2020

April 2 Poem of the Day

"Social Distancing 2020"
Poem of the Day - 4/2/20
Audio Version of Today's Poem

"Social Distancing" -
Webster's 2020 'word of the year,'
Mark my words
No pun intended...

Ok, maybe so.
You got me.

I feel helpless
Because I can't do
Anything -
Yet, 
Apparently,
That's what we all need to do.

Nothing.

What has it come to mean?
A little bit of work
And a whole lotta Netflix.
(Well, I don't have Netflix,
But you get the idea.)

Not exactly what I had in mind for April.
I'm pretty sure no one thought
We'd
Be
Here.

Alone.

But enough with the pity parties.
We're called to make sacrifices.
Yes, it's a sacrifice.
And many of us
Are in positions where we can do just that -
positions of privilege.
As in, I still have my job.
I still can pay my rent -
Even if I am going a little stir crazy
All cooped up in my apartment.
But I have family and friends who check in on me.
(Virtually-speaking)

Our sacrifice is so small
Compared to those on the front lines -
To doctors, nurses, police
To firefighters and city workers.
Our sacrifice means everything for them -
To keep them safe
And to bring them home each day
To their own loved ones.

Maybe it's not the sacrifice that's the hardest.
Maybe, instead, it's the
Not
Knowing
When
It
Will
End.

So, what do we do?
The only things we can do -
Trust.
Reach out.
Stay home.
Love.

Yes, that's it. Love.
A whole lotta love
For our world in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment