I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Turning Back to Mary

May Crowning - incredibly beautiful...100% Catholic. I loved our simple May Crowning at my previous school, as it was weaved seamlessly into the Mass itself, but the May Crowning at my new school was wonderful in different ways...

Carrying white carnations, the second graders donned their First Communion dresses and suits, while the 8th graders wore their red (boys) and white (girls) graduation gowns (minus the caps), joining the other students and teachers in procession from the school building to the church on a sunny afternoon. Upon entering the church, we joined together in singing "Immaculate Mary," which was followed by the reading of a Gospel passage from Luke and a short homily from our pastor.

We were in the middle of the consecration prayer to Mary, when I suddenly found myself choking up and holding back tears. I realized in that moment that within the past 6 months to 1 year I have not turned to Mary for intercession or help. What once was such a special devotion for me, having grown up with the Salesian charism and devotion to Mary, Help of Christians, was no longer a part of my life. And this saddened me a great deal. I am sure there are many versions of the prayer of consecration to Mary, but I would wager that the gist of the prayer, no matter what words you say, is the same - to give of oneself completely to Mary so that we may grow in holiness to be closer to her Son, Jesus. And I knew in that moment, Mary was touching my heart and whispering an invitation to return to her.

May Crowning continued in lovely and touching fashion with intercessions, followed by the song "Bring Flowers of the Rarest" during the crowning itself. When the song "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman" started, I found myself once again on the verge of waterworks, only this time I couldn't hold back the tears. Every time I hear that song I think of my students throughout the years to whom I have taught the signs to that song, and my heart is filled with both utmost happiness and a deep longing at the same time. For some reason, that song makes me think I have made a difference in some students' lives, not through the song, but through my ministry in Catholic education. And it is a reminder of why I stay in Catholic education. I know it probably doesn't make sense, all of that being stirred up by one song, but for some reason it's true.

So now, on the eve of Mother's Day, I find myself with the deep desire to recommit myself in devotion to Mary. I am on the lookout for prayers/novenas of consecration, books, apps, or anything else that will help me stay on track, so if you know of any please let me know. (Obviously the Rosary is likely a good place to start.)

Mary, our mother, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment