I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Cha-, cha-, cha-, changes

I don't believe I've ever heard someone admit that he/she likes change. Change is hard. Frankly, change often sucks.

Back in ACE, I found myself getting sick when my two years with my five housemates was coming to a close. I'm pretty sure I lost at least 5 pounds and definitely could not enjoy most foods for a three-week period. People told me I had Chron's Disease or that I needed to go to the doctor. My dad was the one who turned out to be right - I was bringing it on myself. (It's kind of scary to realize that my mind has that much power over my bodily functions.)

In retrospect, I was nervous that I was going to lose touch with my friends after being so close for 2 years. (Let's face it - and my friends will tell you - I'm terrible at keeping in touch...except for birthday and Christmas cards.) I had gotten comfortable with the way things were, and I hated the idea of the unknown. But it was going to come no matter what - life doesn't have a pause button. (Sometimes wouldn't it be great if it did?)

As we come to the end of yet another school year, change is inevitable. Faculty members are retiring. Friends are moving away. Members of various teams I'm on or groups I'm a part of are packing their bags. And it's time to say goodbye...which gets harder to do each time I see these people because soon they'll be out of Chicago.

I'm so grateful that Chicago is a city where people come to stay, at least for awhile. But it's hard being the one who's left behind, as certain events or places will often bring back memories of times spent with friends. In the grand scheme of life, though, we're all just passing through. And even though certain friends may go, there are always opportunities to make new friendships and reconnect with old ones. There's always an excuse to pick up the phone (which I need to get better about!) to call and catch up - people are literally just a phone call away.

So yes, there will inevitably be tears over the coming weeks. But I am hopeful for what change will bring for this upcoming year too.

No comments:

Post a Comment