I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

I will run the rACE

March is a long month with no spring break. Just throwing that out there.

Luckily for me, I had a perfect get-away: the annual ACE marathon. In and of itself, anything ACE-related usually proves a pretty good time. Couple that with the backdrop of Oakland, CA (and the fact that a handful of friends live there/nearby), and I was golden.

I don't think my heart could have been any happier. (You can ask my sister - I was literally jumping up and down at some points with joy.)

I have been so fortunate in regards to my health (especially in being able to run with plantar fasciitis) and with the support and prayers of my family, friends, and coworkers. I was extremely sad to leave Oakland and the people there, it's true; yet, I am now filled with what I believe I need to get me to spring break. And for that I am extremely grateful. We all need to take time to refresh and hit the pause button...sometimes we don't realize just how much we need it until that time is upon us.

For good measure, here are some pictures from the weekend - fair warning: there are a lot, so I'll leave you to it. :)

Even though our flight was initially cancelled, we adapted and made it to Oakland!

Ended up bunking at the ACErs' house/convent one night - they weren't messing around. They were ready for the crowd!

We stayed right near Old Oakland...and they had a farmers' market and umbrellas.

Made it to daily Mass at Cathedral of Christ the Light - beautiful church!


This is not a hologram - it's made from the natural light. So cool!

We carbed up...while making sure we were meat-free on Friday :)

We wandered around Lake Merritt and found lots of neat little places to visit, such as the Bonzai Garden.








You bet we run this town!

Per a recommendation on Atlas Obscura...


One of my classmates came to visit on Friday night!

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

The weather was unreal - even though it was a little on the warmer side by the time the marathon rolled around, we couldn't have asked for better weather!

ACE housemates and classroom neighbors, carpool buddies, etc. (Basically this guy is the brother I never had and it was SO good to see him!)

Twins with matching shoes...that happened.

Go ACE, go!

26.2 miles later - woo hoo!

Made the choice to walk around San Francisco post-marathon - we were able to stretch the legs, but holy cow were there some steep inclines we walked up and down.


More RLP love!

The answer is ice cream. Always ice cream.

Bay Bridge from afar

Golden Gate Bridge (up close) - it was such a perfect sunset!





Scored some serious leg room on the way home (after our plane made a stop in Seattle).

These ACE people made my heart very happy - together the team raised over $10,000 for the ACE school this year. What troopers! And so much joy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment