I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, March 3, 2019

God winked...and my heart was filled

This week I was reminded why I chose and, more importantly, why I stay in Catholic education. Let's just say that God has a funny way of showing up when you need it most...

For me, this previous week (in fact, the past few weeks) left me feeling, at times, down on myself and second-guessing my decisions and actions. At this time of the year, I think it's safe to say many educators are finding themselves in similar positions. Students are frustrated with each other and with their teachers; teachers are pushed to the limit in managing student conflict, finalizing grades, and doing extra tasks on top of all of the regular load of the classroom; parents are honing in on little things that they feel haven't been addressed to date and are worried about their children's report card grades... the stress and demands keep building... and we have quite some time before spring break. (Help.)

In the midst of this, though, I ran into three previous students. One graduated from 8th grade last year and is a freshman at a local Catholic high school. I saw her and her mom going into "Dear Evan Hansen" but I couldn't get their attention in line, as I was a good 10 people back with my friend. However, I figured out how to get in touch with her via phone, and I was able to see them briefly after the show. The other two students graduated from 8th grade four years ago and are in the middle of college applications. My sister and I ran into them today when we went out for brunch after Mass.

It can be hard to go anywhere in Chicago without running into someone that I know, especially after living and teaching in the city for a long time, but I know deep down in my heart that these two instances of seeing my previous students were not mere coincidences, as crazy as that might sound. You see, these young people were genuinely excited to see me, and they enjoyed sharing some of the things they've been up to. And I remembered their names, little things about them - it felt like they were just in my class yesterday. When I asked them to tell the classmates who they still keep in contact with hello from me, they seemed eager to do so. And that did wonders for my heart - it truly filled me with such joy. And it was a joy that I needed in the midst of this tough time of year.

I know I've reflected before on this blog about how teaching is hard for many reasons, but most especially because when your students graduate, there's no guarantee that you'll see them again. You trust that they'll grow into good people and pursue their dreams, but you don't usually see those things happen - sometimes you're lucky if you just hear about it from another colleague or another school parent later on. The interactions this week, though, reminded me of being part of something bigger than myself as a Catholic school educator and realizing in retrospect the possibility of making a difference in students' lives while they are in your care.

I am so grateful for these "God-instances" or, as my principal calls them, "God winks at you" moments. God is watching out for us, and He will help fill us up when times seem tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment