I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, November 4, 2017

Good things come to those who wait

Good things come to those who wait.

I always thought this line was so cliche, or that it was just something used as a way to cushion the blow for those who never quite got what they wanted when they wanted it. It was a mother's way of enforcing patience, or it was pulled out to support those working really hard to achieve something.

Today, this phrase held new meaning for me.


I did a lot of waiting at the mobile food pantry for OLA this morning... My group waited in the church for directions on where to begin our day and how to dodge the biggest downpours of rain. I waited in a line that stretched on forever with several people getting their food for the month from the pantry. I waited outside a particular spot of the whole process as a mother and her three small children sorted through clothes for about 15-20 minutes. And I waited with two of those same children as their mom went to pull the car around to load everything.

In the end, though, the waiting was beautiful. As I stood with the young children, the girl, aged 4 - I know because I asked her and she showed me on her fingers - used a chopstick she had taken as a wand to count my fingers from 1 to 10. As she counted, she smiled up at me and I couldn't help but smile right back. She was as cute as a button. As other people were rushing to and fro right by us, I got lost in those moments. While my intuition told me I needed to be productive and help carry things or sort things, my heart told me I needed to be with that little girl (Rose) - she needed me more. I stood with her for probably 10 or so minutes, and when her mom finally pulled up outside, I walked out with her, and, as we descended the steps, she reached up for my hand. My sister was close by, and when I caught her eye, we both smiled because it was such a beautiful thing. As I helped the mom load up the car, the girl smiled and waved through the backseat window.


God wants our attention; He wants our patience, our presence. And He reaches out for us at unexpected times. We have to decide to answer Him with a firm yes - we have to stop our normal "busy" routines to hear His gentle whisper, to meet Him in our neighbors with compassion and love.

Good things come to those who wait...and who, when the time comes, recognize the opportunity to say YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment