I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Friday, May 5, 2017

Let me Google that...

Vocation = from the Latin vocare, meaning "to call"

Teaching this unit to 6th and 7th grade at the same time, albeit different standards, is causing my head to spin. I can't keep things straight half the time. And all the time, students are asking me what my vocation is... Most common comment - "Married life?" wink wink. (Let's just say I'm praying about and working on it...)

In 6th grade, they get to do one of my all-time favorite projects: "Doodle 4 Google - Vocations". After designing a Doodle that represents the vocations (as named in the church), the student is asked to provide a written explanation of his/her symbols as well as what the role of each vocation is in the Church.

Most of the students got really into the project, some even begging me to come and see theirs before turning it in because they were so proud of their designs. (Some asked if I could send them off to Google!) Here are just a few of the designs I received today:




I'm really very satisfied with how today shaped up in each class, even though it was a Friday. Nothing was too crazy or difficult to handle, which is sometimes the case at the end of the week, so we are ready to gear up for just a few more weeks of school. It makes me think that some days I am doing things "right" as an educator...




In other news...

At the end of a long day, sometimes the best medicine is fresh-squeezed orange juice (especially when you've had a headache all afternoon and fear you might be coming down with a cold)...



And even feelings of aching and cold-like symptoms can be somewhat forgotten by supportive comments from grad school supervisors... :)


1 comment:

  1. Wow, "a model student!" That's high praise from any educator! I thought I had it good when my hairstylist told me I had good hair *before* she started working on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete