I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Pray for our Priests

For the first time in quite some time, I had the 8th graders' attention.

Now, I could chalk that up to the fact that, due to the rotating schedule, I had them before lunch (which does not happen the rest of the week), OR I could chalk it up to the fact that this video about the priesthood got their attention.

After watching the video multiple times myself, I'd like to go with the latter.

The 8th grade is in the midst of a unit on vocations, so yesterday we took a deeper look at one of the four vocations: priesthood. We did some other videos and activities too, but this video was, by far, the one that held their attention the most. After the video (about 12 minutes in length) finished, I asked them to give their initial reactions and to share what they noticed about the seminarians & priests in the video.

One comment stood out (and I wasn't sure anyone would necessarily pick up on it, even though it was pretty obvious): They all look happy. Darn right they do - they're full of the love of God, and through their vocation they are sharing that love with others. They are amazing and such a true blessing to the Catholic faithful.

We ended class with a prayer for priests. I invite you to pray it too:

2 comments:

  1. I have a rotating intention for my rosary on Wednesdays. One of them is to pray for my pastor and associate. Every Thursday, I pray for vocations!

    You mentioned four vocations. I'm guessing one of them is being single. I don't think being single is a vocation on the same level as marriage, priesthood, and religious life. What are your thoughts on that, and on the concept of a missed vocation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, one of them is committed single life. I use the Holy Cross vocation curriculum for my foundation lessons, and we've spent a lot of time reflecting on the challenges and joys unique to each vocation. As the curriculum seeks to emphasize, and, therefore, so do I, one's vocation is not finite; it can change. Therefore, one always has to be open to where God is calling him/her in his/her life. (For example, my students often tell me that though my vocation currently may be committed single life, I am going to get married so I can have babies and bring them to watch the girls' basketball games. Ha ha - the minds of middle schoolers.)

    Now, I can see how some people might consider committed single life a "missed" vocation, but, like any other vocation, if lived with intention, such a way of life provides unique opportunities to serve others that, say, a married person may not be able to do because that person would have family commitments. (I found this article to put the idea in perspective too: http://www.uscatholic.org/articles/201407/flying-solo-life-single-catholic-29188.)

    ReplyDelete