I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Real Fathers

"It is easier for a father to have children than for children to have a real father." 
- Pope John XXIII

I love this quotation because it speaks volumes. (Plus, it's attributed to Pope John XXIII who was a pretty cool guy.) If we take time to really think about what Pope John XXIII was trying to say, it doesn't take long to realize the emphasis he has put on fathers being present and strong role models - it's something that, sadly, our world doesn't see enough.

I am so blessed to have such a real (and wonderful!) father in my life - he has shown me and my sister countless times over the years how to work hard, how to take time for family, how to make sacrifices, how to spend time doing the things you love, how to laugh at yourself, how to think out side the box, and how to be a strong model of faith. Over the years I probably never said it enough - Thank you, Dad. I love you. 

(And, Dad, I hope you get a chance to play and watch some golf today...You'll be happy to know Marisa and I watched some of the U.S. Open yesterday - good stuff.)


Happy Fathers' Day to all you dads out there. As you go about your day-to-day, remember the wise words of Pope John XXIII...

P.S. Check out this article on St. Joseph (the ultimate role model of a father) from America Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment