I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, December 24, 2012

Mother Mary

It's good to be home. In fact, when Marisa and I walked into Church yesterday, it was difficult to figure out whom to hug first. (That's a good problem to have, right?)

Mass was beautiful too, as we celebrated the fourth (and final) Sunday of Advent. During the Preparation of the Altar, the choir sang "Breath of Heaven" (see lyrics here). It sounded lovely, but what made the song even more special and extraordinary was how the interpreter signed the song - she was so graceful, and she consciously chose signs to match the meaning (not just the words) of the song.

This particular verse (included directly below) struck me yesterday, as I couldn't help but think about teaching. (Yes, as a teacher, those thoughts of students, planning, and general school hectic-ness are with you 24/7 - a blessing and a curse.)

...Do you wonder as you watch my face 
If a wiser one should have had my place? 
But I offer all I am 
For the mercy of Your plan 
Help me be strong, help me be, help me...

There are days when I have similar thoughts to this one that Mary must have had - in fact, most of us probably ask this question along the lines of "Why me?" or "Couldn't someone else do this better?", especially when we come to the end of a particularly frustrating day.

But then, the line continues - and this is the most important part to remember - Mary makes an offering of herself, all that she is. And we are called to do the same...with God's help, of course. (That's the next part.) Even though it may not seem like much, all we have is enough and the most we can give. Mary reminds us of that.

Mary is our Mother, and Mary is our model. Through Mary we come to know Jesus, and through Jesus we come to know God's loving presence in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment