I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, October 10, 2011

October, the month of...

October is a month for Fall. It is a month of Halloween decorations and costumes. It brings all flavors pumpkin, caramel apple, and cinnamon. It is time for sweaters and slacks for school. It is better-pull-out-that-winter-coat-soon weather. It is a time of harvest.

But did you know October is also the month of the Rosary?

Admittedly, I do not pray this form of prayer as much as I probably should. (After all, it's our direct link to Mary who is a pretty strong advocate to God on our behalf.) But I took a few (EASY) steps today to get me pointed in the right direction...and I invite you to do the same:

1. Pray for Life - Through Notre Dame's alumni association, I registered with the prayLIFE calendar, where anyone and everyone can sign up for a one hour time slot to devote in prayer for life - life of the unborn, sick, and elderly, as well as the quality of life for all. Seeing as an hour is a pretty large chunk of time, I decided to use the Rosary as my prayer of choice.
(This decision brought me to step #2 -->)

2. Pray the Rosary online - An ongoing Rosary prayer with the Mysteries of the day can be found at http://www.comepraytherosary.org/. You are able to join in and exit at any time, and it tells you at the bottom how many others are on the website praying the Rosary in live time with you. Also, there is a place where you can submit intentions (anonymously or with your name). The words of the prayers are available in addition to a Rosary that shows up at the right of your screen to help you keep track of what decade you are currently praying.

3. Pray the Rosary on-the-go - Awhile ago, my friend of mine sent a website (http://www.rosaryarmy.com/?page_id=22) on which you are able to download audio podcasts of the Rosary (with or without the Scripture passages included). I loaded them on my iPod tonight, and I made a CD for easier access in the car. My intention is to use the CD to help me pray on my commutes to and from school for the remainder of this month.

And just in case I forget which day is which set of Mysteries, there are plenty of handy guides online like this one to remind me. (And the beauty of #2 above is that it starts in with the right Mysteries automatically!)

Remember, October is the month of many things. But, most importantly, it is the month of the Rosary. So, remember to spend some quality time with Mary today.

"From Mary we learn to surrender to God's Will in all things. From Mary we learn to trust even when all hope seems gone. From Mary we learn to love Christ her Son and the Son of God!"
- John Paul II

2 comments:

  1. thank you for the resources- i passed along the come pray the rosary website to a couple of teachers- we are praying it as a school (2 decades, that is) each friday after mass. thought it would be good to show the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU FOR THE LINKS TO THE ROSARY SITES. I'M GOING TO TRY AND MAKE MYSELF A CD FOR THE CAR. <3

    ReplyDelete