I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Harry Potter Frame of Mind

Having recently (and by recently, I really mean the beginning of May) acquired a Nook e-reader (thank you SJV friends!), I have been using http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ for merely electronic book purchases. However, after discovering my incoming 4th graders' summer reading book (Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh - great book! but I digress), I decided to actually order some "real" books to enjoy.

And, you know how it is, when it comes down to the whole order $25 and get free shipping deal; well, I always try to do that.

So, I got a few books (in addition to "Mrs. Frisby") for myself, including J.K. Rowling's "The Tales of Beedle the Bard," which turned out to be a wonderful decision. It's basically fairytales for wizards (but translated for us Muggle folks), complete with notes by Dumbledore. Can we say awesome? And with only 5 stories, it was easy to make it through the book in less than an hour's time. (Not that you should rush it, by any means.)

But what makes this book especially appealing to us educators (in addition to the fact that it is another book for HP fans to devour), is that each story has a moral - so, in a way, it's like fairytale-fable mixed...Would that make it a "fairyable?" <Insert grimace face for bad joke here.> And good tends to triumph over evil, which, you know, we all want to see, right?

If you're a Harry Potter fan and have not yet picked this gem off the shelf, what are you waiting for?


Perhaps best of all, though, is that I am now definitely in a Harry Potter frame of mind (watched #7 Part 1 today) and ready to see Part 2. (Yes, I know I'm 2 weeks late.)

See you at the movies!

2 comments:

  1. Don't wait too long to go see HP7.2. It picks up exactly where 7.1 left off...and then explodes into awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that was me, Lindsay. I'm still trying to find the best way to comment on Blogger blogs that will link straight to my actual blog. Apparently that's not it. Why can't Blogger just let me put in a name and URL by hand? Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete