I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Road Trip 2019 - Part 1: The Plan and the Gear

What would summer vacation be without a road trip?

Lucky for me, I didn't have to find out. This year, I packed my bags and headed to three National Parks: Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon with two very dear friends. Spoiler alert: We had a blast. We cheated just a tad, as we decided to fly in and out of Las Vegas instead of driving out there. This was a good call, as it gave us more time in the parks, and it allowed me to get another state checked off my ever-shortening list of states to visit. (I think I'm down to 10!)

We did a lot of hikes and camping...and I took a LOT of photos. So...Disclaimer: This road trip recap is going to be in installments...

Ok, now that we're clear about that, it seems logical to start with the plan and the gear.

A plan - ah yes, it is usually good to have one of those...yet, at the same time, it's important to be flexible and go with the flow should the situation require. So, for what it's worth, here are my notes & proposed itinerary (which we stuck pretty close to) for our Utah/Grand Canyon road trip. I also now have a manila file folder with park brochures, newspapers, and other random trip-related stuff should anyone ever need to borrow it. (Seriously.) I also have the Lonely Planet "Zion & Bryce Canyon National Parks" guide book, and this came in handy as well, especially for tips about what to do and eat, when to beat the crowds, etc.

And the gear - well, that all depends on what you are planning to do, but I'll give you a run-down of what was good for me/us to have based on our activities -->

1. A good tent...with a rain flap...and a footprint
Confession - I don't actually own a tent. But my friend does. And it's a good one - Marmot brand, two-person I believe. (You might be saying, I thought you had three people on your trip, and you would be absolutely right...we did fit three people in the tent - it was a little rough and required some adjusting and flexibility, but we managed for 4 nights. And we lived to tell (and laugh) about it.) The rain flap (goes over the tent netting) and footprint are important to protect against the elements so that you and your gear stay dry. While we were in the desert, we did get some rain in the Grand Canyon and Bryce, so we were thankful for those tent accessories!


2. The sleep essentials
Obviously a sleeping bag is necessary when camping. That pretty much goes without saying. But a couple of clutch additions for me this year were an inflatable sleeping pad and an inflatable pillow. Coming off last year when I did not have either of those things, I was MUCH more comfortable this time around...and my body thanked me for it. And they were extremely easy to pack, as each folded up into its own small bag. I don't know the exact brand for either of these items that I have, as I just stored all of my gear, but if you look on Amazon, they have a bunch of mats and pillows from which to choose. Trust me, if you are camping, these are worth considering.

3. A compass
We actually didn't use one this year. I would truly benefit from the development of a compass-like device that directs me to the nearest bathroom on a trail, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

4. Hiking poles & boots
Yes, you can do the hikes without them, but do not underestimate the benefits of hiking poles. With the steep hikes in all three parks, the poles were beneficial going up as well as going down, where they help take some of the pressure off your knees. The poles were also extremely helpful when hiking the Narrows at Zion - the current was strong, so the poles helped with balance and power. My poles worked great overall - they are of the Black Diamond brand - but I do wish they collapsed just a tad more, as they almost didn't fit in my largest suitcase. Hiking boots are worth having too, as they give extra support to your ankles and have good soles.

5. Waterproof stuff
Speaking of the Narrows, I made a couple of last minute purchases that made me a happy camper that day:
  • wetsuit socks - I got this idea from a blog I stumbled across about a month or so ago. The socks weren't necessary, but I think they helped me avoid blisters better than regular socks, especially since we didn't rent the water shoes at the park; we just wore our hiking boots. My friends did just fine with regular socks, so it's your call.
  • waterproof dry bag - My roommate recommended this one, and it turned out to be very helpful, especially since I ended up being submerged up to my shoulders two or three times...not on purpose...and yes, I still have some "battle scars" to prove it. The bag would have been great on its own, but there was a bonus! It came with a waterproof phone case that hung around my neck. Guess who became the official group photographer for that hike... :)


6. Water storage/use
There were lots of places to fill up on drinking water in all three parks, but we needed things to hold the water... Last year I invested in a Camelbak (the 1.5 L size), and it was definitely necessary for this trip. If you are hiking (no matter what temperature/climate), you should have one. Seriously, don't leave home without it!
Another way to store water of which I was recently made aware of (and loaned one) by a friend is a Platypus. These fit in our Camelbaks (or, when we didn't need them, in the car), so we always had plenty to drink. There was only one time when I really ended up needing it (as I am not prone to drinking much on the trails, as that leads to needing the bathroom, which you never know if you might find), but overall it brought a lot of comfort in knowing water was there.


7. Sunscreen & some good hats
By the time our trip was done, I felt like I was caked in sunscreen and was quite certain it would never come off. I took every opportunity to reapply, especially during some of our longer hikes that went into mid-morning. In terms of hats, I brought 4...maybe that was a bit excessive. Two were regular baseball caps, one was a lightweight hat that I typically use for running in the summer, and one was a new purchase from REI with a big brim (the one pictured under "waterproof stuff"). As much as I love the sun, the sun is less than forgiving towards me, so I'm hoping that between the hats and sunscreen I'll pass at my next dermatology appointment.
7.5* I ended up purchasing Kool Ties for myself and my friends. I found it to be an added way to stay cool during some of our hotter hikes. And even back at my apartment, mine has retained some of its moisture...



8. Snacks
We're usually exclusively Trader Joe's (minus the Twizzlers) on this front, but I am sure most grocery stores will do just fine. Some of our go-to's are cheddar rockets, peanut butter pretzels, nut mixes, PBJ bars, and wine. (It was really important on this trip that we didn't get anything with chocolate or other ingredients that would melt, as most days got near 90-100 degrees!) One of the signs we passed on a hike told us that we needed to eat double the carbs that we are used to when hiking...so we took that pretty seriously. :)


I'm sure I missed a few things, but you get the idea. I think the main take-away here is you definitely need some stuff...but don't go overboard or think you need everything. Once you're in the parks, some companies will try to convince you that you need certain things (e.g. the water shoes at Zion), but you may not. You know you best, so plan and act accordingly.

That's all for now...but don't worry; there is plenty more to come! I'm actually quite surprised I'm still awake at this hour; though, I think my body is still on Pacific Time, so that means it's more like 8:30pm for me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment