I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Monday, June 26, 2017

The Art of Getting Rid of Junk

It all started when I decided to take a walk by the lakefront this morning. With coffee in hand, I more or less walked at a brisk pace, stopping now and then to admire the ducks, sunshine, and solitude.

When I got back to my apartment, I got the "cleaning bug." I attacked the bathroom first - lots of scrubbing, one sponge, 1/2 a bottle of Drano, and 3 kinds of shower spray (couldn't figure out which kind worked best) later, our shower was mostly mold- and mildew-free.

While I felt accomplished, it wasn't enough. I had the time, I decided, so my room would be next. Out came all of the tubs under my bed and the boxes in my closet, out and into either a trash bag or a bag for donations. What an accumulation of junk! (Well, it wasn't all junk, but I certainly wasn't going to look at some of that stuff again...) I think I went through 5 trash bags and filled 2 bags for donations. Phew.

I did feel a lot better after that. A purge of stuff is good and makes one think about becoming less dependent on material things. (Though, it's probably better to purge more often and in smaller amounts.) After that I went to the donation center and then ran a few errands before coming back home, talking to a dear friend on the phone, making dinner (oh, the ease of frozen pizza), and reading my (for fun!) book.

I'm not sure what's on the docket for tomorrow - let the "chronicles of Kelly's boredom before grad school starts up" continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment