I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Looking back...and looking ahead

Just finished up trimester 2 parent teacher conference day.

I realized a lot has happened since the last conferences for trimester 1:

- I finished my first semester of online classes for grad school.
- I enjoyed Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays with my family.
- I got a shot of cortisone in my foot and started running again, getting up to 9 miles!
- I started dating a very faith-filled, fun, and generous guy.
- I went to a couple of shows, including at the Shakespeare theater and for Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.
- I witnessed my 8th graders receive the Sacrament of Confirmation (and served as a sponsor).
- I attended the annual FL retreat with my grad school classmates.
- I led 4-8th grade Advent retreats and Reconciliation services.
- I started coaching volleyball again.
- I helped some alumni start a new chapter for the school service club.
- I roadtripped for a long weekend to St. Louis to visit with friends.
- I gave a homily during Catholic Schools Week about why I stay in Catholic education.
- I played in the student-faculty basketball game.
- I saw more movies in the theater than I had seen in the past year combined.
- Lent started, and I am working hard to maintain my Lenten promises and use them to help me grow closer to God and others.


And there was probably plenty more that happened along the way (as I know I have had many failures and mistakes too)...

As I look ahead to trimester 3 and the ending of my second semester of online classes for grad school, I have a full, happy heart. I am so grateful for the people who have been walking this journey with me. As I close the chapter of year 30 of my life and prepare to turn 31 this upcoming week (ah!), I can't help but smile.

God is good and always here - in the best of times and in the lowest of times. May these 40 days of Lent be a time of preparation, reflection, healing, and hope for all of us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment