I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Let Them Go

It's hard to let go. There are probably an unknown multitude of reasons why that is so for any given person. This feeling was all too real last night at the 8th graders' graduation.

In attempting to pinpoint why letting go is so hard for me, I came to the conclusion (at least for now) that it's not knowing where those you've worked with will end up in the long run. (Personally, my hope for all of my students is heaven...but I hope that's a long ways off.) What will they do in the immediate future as they move on to high school? Will they remember to pray? to go to church? to help those in need? Were they really listening in class these past few years...?

It's hard because you love them enough to let them go - to try their wings and fly. (That kinda sounds cliche, I know. But it's true.) I love these 8th graders so much - they were my first class at my current school when I came in as a fourth grade teacher, and I've taught them in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade for religion class too. They've caused me a fair share of headaches and anxiety, but they've also brought me so much joy (especially the ones who've been in service club). So, yes, watching them walk down the aisle and receive their diplomas last night was very hard, indeed.

In the poem attributed to Oscar Romero, he states, “We plant the seeds that one day will grow. We water seeds already planted, knowing that they hold future promise.” This is what I hold onto. This is what I believe we do as teachers and those who work with (and/or raise) young people.

I thank God for the opportunity I've had to work with these remarkable young men and women. I pray for them as they start the next chapter of their lives. I'd like to think I taught them a lot these past few years, but I realize that they've been the ones teaching me all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment