I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, May 15, 2016

My Last Lecture

For the last couple of weeks with my 8th grade, I wanted to come up with activities that would be meaningful and reflective. Well, that's certainly easier said than done...

That's when I re-stumbled upon Randy Pausch's "Last Lecture." The version I am showing my students on Monday (and the one below in this blog post) is a shortened "recap" done on Oprah. (You can see the full length version HERE.)


Of course! I could have the students make their own "last lectures" - two to three minutes with a focus on family, time, and faith. 

But this meant I had to make my own version first...which I spent a good chunk of this evening accomplishing. It's by no means even close to perfect (or even good) - there's a lot I had to leave out. Two minutes is such a short amount of time when trying to convey life lessons...

We'll see how the students do. Usually on projects with iMovie they end up blowing me away by their ability to navigate the app, add music, and do other things, so let's hope that's the case for this one last time. I wonder what their messages to the world will be...

3 comments: