I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Chose or Chosen?

Last weekend the ND campus (well, at least the ACE office) was filled with the ACE 20 graduates and their families. On Saturday, a graduation Mass was held in the Basilica. Marisa and I were invited to sing for it, and I am so glad we went.

Afterwards, pizza was given to the choir, as we had not had the chance to grab dinner at the dining hall due to practice. I engaged in conversation with the ACE 22 teacher next to me - it turns out he will be going to one of the new sites at Peoria, IL, for his placement. What started out as a light comment soon became a very interesting conversation - I asked him if he chose ACE or if ACE chose him. He gave a little laugh and actually picked the latter.

It turns out that during his senior year he had served as a research assistant for Fr. Sean McGraw, CSC, the co-founder of ACE. Meanwhile, he cantored at the Sunday Basilica Masses, where Fr. Joe Corpora, CSC (the one who founded my ACE school and who is leading the charge for improving Latino enrollment in Catholic schools), often celebrated. It seemed as if the stars were aligning - both invited him to take a look at the ACE program and to consider becoming part of it. "What would you teach?" Fr. Sean asked him, to which he replied, "calculus." And I think he's doing that...along with some other high school math courses.

Pretty neat story, huh? I sat listening in awe of his story. And I thought about all of the other ACErs too - how many of them have a similar story to tell?

And what about myself and other ACErs of old? Is it mere coincidence that I had ACE teachers back in high school? Is it coincidental that many ACErs have parents or siblings in the field of education?

I have to believe that coincidence is not the right term here - no, it's not even close. I fully believe in the guiding hand of God, the breath of the Holy Spirit.

At least in my book, there's no other explanation possible...

No comments:

Post a Comment