I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Work hard, play hard(er)

Yesterday (after our marathon training run), I spent roughly four hours under a mountain of Hobbit book-end tests: There were 25 of them, and I had insisted they apply their understanding of how to best answer extended response questions, which we had been practicing this past week in class. So, they did just that - they used quotations, drew conclusions, and gave lots of examples. (So, as much as I regretted the quantity of reading I had to do, I was actually glad they followed directions.)

By the end of it all, my head was definitely in a spin, and my speech/conversation was probably incoherent. But it was worth it because I was able to spend last night spending time with friends from Church at a house party, and today I was able to visit with friends who recently had a baby and celebrate Mass at school.

Work hard, play hard(er) - that's a good motto.

I'm so glad I was able to kick back a little today. Yes, there's a full week of Catholic Schools' Week activities ahead, but I still have some relaxing to do, including some Downton Abbey to watch...

1 comment:

  1. Staying on top of papers was my LEAST favorite thing about teaching English. I would always find the gems, though, that one paper where a student really GOT IT. That made it worth the struggle.

    ReplyDelete