I have come to fall in love with teaching in Catholic schools. What are YOU in love with?...

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evenings, how you will spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything." - Pedro Arrupe

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Grandpa-isms...Sayings, Songs, Jokes, and More...

Undoubtedly these cannot all be attributed to my grandfather - I'm sure someone else made some of them up - but these are some of the words he said that I will always remember...and they are ones I wanted to share:

his favorite 'limerick' (I never had the heart to tell him it wasn't technically a limerick.): 
"There once was a girl from Boston, Mass. She stood in water up to her knees. It doesn't rhyme yet, but wait till the tide comes in."

words of wisdom: 
"Save your money, buy whiskey."

This one's a recent favorite - I never heard him utter it in person, but it was shared at his memorial - apparently it was directed at his friends: 
"If B.S. (bull s***) was an energy company, you two would be a couple of power plants."

upon leaving the table, 
"Meeting adjourned."

when taking a picture with my sister and me, 
"Ah, a rose between two thorns."

while holding the door, 
Age before beauty."

before heading out of town,
"Comes the dawn, we'll be gone." (Although, this is probably more accurately attributed to my grandmother.)

in order to ensure his order would be plain, the way he liked it:
"No garbage, and I'm allergic to pickle."

ideas about eating:
"If you eat one more piece of chicken, you're going to turn into a chicken."

when he wanted the rest of the house to wake up:
"Reveille! Reveille!" (while waving the coffee pot)


He rewrote the words to many songs that he constantly sang to himself around the house, and he usually could pull out a one-liner for any occasion - I wish I could remember all of them.

But this is a start of what I'd like to call my "grandpa-isms" - for it is impossible to think of these sayings without thinking also of him.

2 comments: